My super amazing sister is going vegan for lent. I thought what a fabulous topic for my blog. I have asked her to write a few pieces about the experience. Now, try not to like it too much. She is a published author and a far better writer than I.
Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, and for many people that means the start of a 40 day fasting period before Easter. I see it as a time of restraint, meditation, and preparation for the coming of Easter.
This Lent season I’ve decided to give up all animal products. This may not seem to have much to do with religion, BUT I do think that practicing self control can manifest itself in spiritual ways… besides, my body is a temple right?
Also, I’m also kind of killing two birds with one stone here, because I’ve been slightly obsessed lately with learning about “real,” (as in unprocessed) food, and have been reading some great books, like French Kids Eat Everything, In Defense of Food, and The China Study. I also read the 100daysofrealfood blog, and Food Babe (in embarrassing quantities), but, hey no one can say I lack enthusiasm! Long story short, I’ve been slowly weaning myself off of highly processed foods and trying to eat more fruits and veggies.
As my sister’s “wifey,” would say “I drank the Kool-Aid,” and I’m ready to plunge in head first and try becoming a Vegan . My plan is to fill you guys in on the struggles, rewards, ups and downs of my adventure. Who knows maybe by the end of Lent I’ll be a brand new woman.
Here are some of my pre-Vegan thoughts that I hope to explore:
1. Will learning to say “no,” to my food impulses give me strength in other areas of my life?
2. Will not having the option of emotional junk food eating help me to grow as a person? Will I turn to prayer or meditation, or will I replace my cravings with some other temporary pacifier?
3. Will I feel any different physically from eating Vegan? Will I have more energy?
4. What will I do when eating over at someone’s house (I’m shy and don’t see myself liking to explain all this to people)?
5. Will I find good Vegan options at restaurants?
6.Will this change the way I eat or view food permanently?
7.Is there any (affordable) AND tasty way to drink coffee with cream as a vegan (this is crucial to my happiness ).
8. How am I ever going to give up Diet Coke????!!!!! Blurg!
9.. And of course every girl’s constant question…. will I lose weight? lol.
There should be a number ten shouldn’t there? Dang it!
Wish me luck! Maybe all my reading will finally be put to good use!
Peace and Cheers!
AlwaysContemplating? SometimesVegan? TrulyTerrific! BlogNamesAreHard!!